Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:11 pm

KathyS

Golden Member
Golden Member
Two pullets suddenly began limping and I found they each had a hot, swollen, infected looking foot. The buff pullet with the white leg showed a bluish color starting at the foot and progressing up the leg. Both were obviously in pain, and barely able to touch the sore foot to the ground. So off to the hospital for both (dog kennel!)

I've been reading online that bumblefoot is usually a staph infection. Often there is a pustule that needs to be lanced. I am hoping I caught it early and won't have to do surgery! I've put them on super-booster which is a penicillin antibiotic, so it should be effective. Also giving yogurt to replace some of that good bacteria which is also destroyed by the antibiotics.
Pic #1 - a sore on the buff Orpington's toe - maybe the source of the infection?

Pic #2 - The pullet foot spa! The sore feet being soaked in hot water and epsom salts. They seemed to enjoy the warmth and didn't struggle at all.

Pic #3: You can see the swollen area on the Black Orpington's foot. There didn't seem to be any sore or scab, so I don't know where the infection entered.

Pic #4: Back in the hospital room with a thick layer of straw for comfort. They are still both favoring the sore foot, but I'm hoping they will both soon be feeling better and back on their feet! Laughing

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

2 Re: Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Golden Member
Golden Member
Great info and pics Kathy! Not to mention very timely for me. Tonight at lockup I noticed one of my EE hens has a swollen foot that looks just like your black Orp. I’m going to treat her to a foot bath tomorrow and see if it helps with the swelling. I couldn't find any sign of a wound either. I’ll have to get some super-booster with antibiotics next trip to town. Pretty sure the stuff I have is just vitamins. Thanks so much for posting this. Smile

3 Re: Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:23 am

KathyS

Golden Member
Golden Member
I'm glad if this helps...I hope your little hen recovers quickly, Flicker chick!

Here's my update: Well after 2 full days on antibiotics, the buff seems to be improving, but not the black pullet. Still hot, swollen and very tender. I think she is running a fever as she sits and twitters to herself, all puffed up in the corner. Any other suggestions? Maybe I should switch to a different antibiotic, or maybe more patience is needed as it might take longer to see improvement?

I'm feeling uneasy about lancing that puffy, swollen spot...but I will do it if it helps her. Is it time to release the infection? pale

Oh dear, just don't quite know what to do next.

4 Re: Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 am

Hidden River

Golden Member
Golden Member
We had a turkey last year that had bumble foot really bad. We waited too long and it was too late to help. But what we did learn is it is hard to get infection in the foot treated properly with oral antibiotics.
What the vet did (of course a pet turkey so had to take it to the vet, LOL) is lance the infection. What happens is the birds wall off the infection and so it is hard to get antibiotics to reach it. Once we drained the serum and pus out we gave him a shot of penicilin directly into the swollen area. It seems gross but it did help a bit. Then do tetracycline warm soaks to try to get the medicine to absorb into the affected area. We also bandaged the area with hibitate ointment on gauze wrapped in vet wrap, changed twice a day with each soak.
We gave him oral tetracylcine as well to fight off any other infections he was possibly fighting.
If you let it go too long the infection will actaully eat the bone away, that is what happened to our Yolker, so we eventually had to put him down, he was just too big to go without some bones in his foot.

5 Re: Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:21 pm

KathyS

Golden Member
Golden Member
Hidden, I want to thank you for sharing your experience. I decided I didn't want to wait too long and have things progress too far, so got up my nerve to drain the pus. Contacted a co-worker - a nurse who is a wound expert (on people, mind you!) and she gave me some tips, too. So I cleaned the area with betadine, and used a new sterile large-gauge needle to pierce the skin. There was quite a lot of cloudy stuff, and then I worked out some lumpy white stuff too. My dear little hen was wrapped in a towel for the procedure, but she did not even flinch. I think it was so painful already, having it lanced was just a relief. So then I soaked it, applied lots of polysporin and wrapped in gauze, topped with vet wrap. This evening the wrap is still intact - she hasn't tried to remove it as far as I can tell.
So, she didn't get the shot of penicillin or hibitate like the vet did for your turkey, Jayme, but I'll keep a close eye on her for a day or 2. If she needs to see the vet I will take her. I'm now quite attached to this brave little hen. I love you

6 Re: Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Golden Member
Golden Member
How are your pullets doing Kathy?

I also ended up doing foot surgery on my two hens with bumblefoot. I followed this thread to a letter (warning: graphic surgery pics) http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649&p=1 and everything went surprising well once I worked up the nerve to cut. It took me alittle over two hours to do four feet, from cleaning to dressing. The girls weren’t very happy with me afterward, but a few mealies dipped in yogurt won me back some love. Wink

My two troopers after surgery. Note the wrapped feet.

Close up of wrapped foot.

I really hope this does the trick!

eta: Sorry for the honking huge pic of a chicken foot. I swear I resized it, but seems photobucket didn't get the memo. Rolling Eyes Hopefully this fixes it...

7 Re: Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:47 am

KathyS

Golden Member
Golden Member
Nice wrap job, Flicker! cheers

Well, back at my farm the buff pullet is all better and back in the main flock. Very Happy
I was not so lucky with the black Orpington. After a few days the swollen area was worse than ever and I realized that simply piercing with a needle had not been an effective way to empty out all the infection. I had to do another incision, this time with a small blade. There were several big chunks that needed to be removed that never would have come through a needle puncture. I feel bad not having done it right the first time, and having to put her through another procedure. Sad Live and learn. *sigh*

Her leg is all wrapped up again and she seems quite content and comfortable. I'm really hoping for a quick recovery now.

8 Re: Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:10 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Golden Member
Golden Member
Thanks Kathy. The wrap (cloth medi-tape from Wal-mart) is holding up really well. I need to get some vet-wrap one of these days though.

I also had to cut quite deep into one badly infected foot. pale The plug that came out had a huge wad of thick gunk attached. Very infected and very gross. No way lancing would have gotten it all either. Poor hen didn’t make a peep, though she twitched a few times. It must have hurt like the dickens.

I’m so glad your pullets are doing better now. Mine seem to be on the mend too. And just think, if bumblefoot strikes again (knock on wood it doesn’t) we’ll know exactly what to do. Smile

9 Re: Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:50 pm

KathyS

Golden Member
Golden Member
This was my very first run-in with infected chicken feet. I'm wondering if all this wet weather and muddy runs has anything to do with it. Anyway, you're right, Flicker about having the know-how to deal with it again. Every time an animal is sick or hurt, you end up gaining some new experience and skills. At least I tell myself there is a positive side to all this! Rolling Eyes

10 Re: Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:58 pm

coopslave

Golden Member
Golden Member
Very informative posts. Thanks to both of you for sharing your experiences. The pictures were great!

11 Re: Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:12 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Good thread Kathy! Hidden, do you know if they used PenG? I now have a hen with bumblefoot and am thinking I could get PenG from the feed store. I have read 1/2 cc injected directly into the foot will help. I have her bandaged after excising as much pus as I could. I flushed it with chlorhexidine and packed it with polysporin. I have also started her on Sulmet. How often did you guys re do the bandages?

12 Re: Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:44 pm

KathyS

Golden Member
Golden Member
Susan, I started out changing the dressing daily, but after the first 3 days I started letting it go 2 days in between. I had her in a cage where it stayed clean and dry, so the bandage didn't get soiled, otherwise would have probably kept up the daily changes. She seems to be on the mend, so today I put her back in the hen pen, and removed the bandage. I'll keep a close eye on her though, to make sure no infection re-appears.
That PenG injection you mentioned sounds like a good idea too. Let us know how it goes for you!

13 Re: Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:03 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
That's awesome news Kathy! Way to go! I'm just going to hold off on the PenG until I know its that and not penicillin/Streptomycin combo that works. I'm also still leary to use penG on anyone as I had a hen die in my arms due to aniphylaxsis (sp). It was very sad.

14 Re: Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:08 am

Hidden River

Golden Member
Golden Member
It was PenG that we used on the turkey, directly into the foot.

15 Re: Treating for Bumblefoot (pictures) on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:57 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
K thanks Hidden!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum